Day to day life can be stressful, especially when we neglect our physical and mental states. As much as it’s important to exercise our muscles to keep strong, being mindful of our breathing is equally as important. Drinking chamomile tea also promotes calmness but what if we could calm ourselves in a much shorter time than making tea? It’s possible and the results are almost instant.
The Power of Breath
Paying attention to our breathing can naturally calm us. Our body sends signals to our brain to let it know that we should remain calm and that everything is alright. By focusing on our breathing and being more mindful of it, we can approach situations with a much more tranquil mindset.
How do You Do Pranayama?
- Find a comfortable cross-legged position (sitting on a pillow helps).
- Start with three deep breaths to warm up the body.
- Cover your right nostril with your right thumb on your right hand and breathe in through the left nostril for 8 seconds.
- Cover your left nostril with your ring finger on your right hand for 1 second.
- Keep your left nostril closed with your ring finger and exhale with your right nostril.
Repeat this until you feel relaxed.