There are definitely some strong arguments in favor of exercising at home. It saves you the time you’d spent going to and from the gym, it saves you the money you’d spent on various memberships, there’s no crowd, and you can listen to whatever music you want.
On the other hand, there are some cons to choosing to do your workouts at home instead of at the gym. They include a lack of motivation to exercise regularly and the fact that buying your own equipment can get really expensive. Here are 5 most important rules to know if you decide to exercise at home.
- Make a schedule and stick to it. It will be much easier to stay on track with your workouts if you fit them in with your schedule in advance. Find a free slot that you can use for training three or four times per week and make sure to never skip a session with yourself.
- Create a designated space where you will exercise that, if possible, serves no other purpose. This will help you focus and it will put you in the mood for exercising as soon as you step into that room or corner.
- Get a yoga mat even if you’re not doing yoga. It’s handy for many exercises that should be done on the floor.
- Get a few workout outfits and use them. Change from your lounge clothes into training clothes just like you would if you were going to the gym.
- Turn off your phone and minimize the distractions as much as possible, then focus on your workout if you want it to be maximally efficient.