Pizza is everyone’s favorite guilty pleasure dinner option, and making it in the comfort of your home can be a true culinary adventure. If you’re looking for a way to turn this fast food option into a healthy and appealing meal, we’ve got the perfect veggie pizza for you.
Food expert Jenn who won us over with her blog Peas and Crayons shared an amazing recipe for cheesy broccoli kale pesto pizza. She described this delicious meal as “perfect for busy weekdays” since you can make it in 25 minutes or less.
Making this pizza is the perfect way to use a bunch of leftover veggies from your fridge, and once you try it you’ll be inspired to experiment with new combos that might not even include broccoli and kale.
Check out the list of ingredients and instructions on Peas and Crayons blog, and you’ll see pizza in a brand new light!
- 3 fluffy flatbreads: naan or pita
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups of broccoli florets (6-8 ounces)
- 1-2 cups chopped kale
- 2-3 tbsp pesto (homemade or store bought)
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup cheddar, fontina, gouda, or gruyere cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Arrange flatbread on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Combine olive oil and minced garlic, spread evenly on each.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
- While your flatbread bakes, fill a pot or skillet with 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Quickly blanch your kale and broccoli for 1 minute. Drain and remove from heat. (You can also sauté them in a little butter or oil if preferred over blanching!) Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Once flatbread is ready, spread generously with pesto and top with a little bit of the cheese. Add your veggies and remaining cheese on top.
- Bake for an additional 10-12 minutes, or until perfectly hot and melty.
- Top with crushed red pepper flakes (optional + spicy!) or an additional sprinkle of parmesan cheese if desired. Crumbled feta also makes a tasty topper! Dive in and enjoy!