Recovery is important after any workout as we deplete our bodies’ store of certain minerals, also known as electrolytes. Products like Gatorade have been longtime go-to’s for athletes everywhere, and while they do contain electrolytes, they’re not the healthiest choice for rehydration. They often contain artificial colors and flavors which can be harmful to our bodies, and high levels of sugar can undo any calories we burned during exercise.
Fortunately, there are other sources of electrolytes that are much healthier. With just a few ingredients you can make your own sports drink perfect for recovery. We’ve created a recipe that works wonders whenever we’re in need of a bit more than just water, it’s also a great option for whenever you’ve got a cold or any other illness where it helps to stay hydrated. It’s easily multiplied if you prefer to prep in advance and keeps well in the refrigerator if stored in sealed containers.
Ingredients: Makes 2-3 Servings
- 2 cups of coconut water
- 1 cup of orange juice
- ¼ teaspoon Himalayan pink salt, and be sure to choose this salt as it’s the best source of certain minerals that aren’t present in other salts
- 1 tablespoon of raw honey
- Combine all ingredients in a pitcher and stir to combine.
- Chill or serve with ice for a refreshing way to rehydrate.
- Store in a pitcher with a lid or sealed jars in the refrigerator for up to a week.