They say that a rolling stone gathers no moss, but according to science, sea moss can be quite good for you. The underwater plant, also known as Irish algae; red algae; and chondrus crispus, actually shows up in more places than you realize. Here is why you want to make use of it.
Sushi has made seaweed a part of our diet for decades, so eating sea moss isn’t much of a stretch. The red algae is low in calories, but high in antioxidants, and is a great source of iodine which keeps the thyroid healthy. It is possible to consume sea moss as a supplement, but the plant is also used as a commercial thickener in desserts; soups; and cottage cheese.
Good for Gut Health
Prebiotics and fiber are key components to good gut health, and sea moss boasts both. Good bacteria benefits from the prebiotics, while fiber can aid digestion and keep you fuller for longer.
Sea moss is also beneficial even when not ingested. Your skin will thank you for using sea moss gel as it is even more moisturizing than hyaluronic acid and creates a film which protects the skin barrier. The algae extract can also reduce inflammation and balance oil production.