Hosting summer parties is all fun and games until you run out of ideas about what to serve to your vegan guests. Options are pretty much endless once you let your imagination roam, but if you don’t have time to get creative – we’re here to help you out.
Alison from the food blog Loving It Vegan shared an amazing recipe for tasty, healthy, and colorful vegetable skewers, and we can’t get enough of them! This delicious dish is perfect for summer outdoor meals, barbecues, and picnics and it can be prepared in both the oven and the grill.
You can experiment with this recipe, and add other veggies to the mix, but Alison says you should use the ones that cook quickly and at a similar speed. Check out her instructions and see if you can come up with a way to make your vegetable skewers even more amazing.
- 10 Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 Zucchini (small)
- 10 Button Mushrooms
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper
- 1 Orange Bell Pepper
- 12 oz (340g) Extra Firm Tofu
- 2 Thick Slices Pineapple (sliced into cubes)
- 3 Tbsp Toasted Sesame Oil
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- 10 Wooden Skewer Sticks
- 1/2 cup (125g) Peanut Butter
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 3 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1/4 tsp Chili Spice
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 4 Tbsp Hot Water
- Place the skewers in a shallow dish and cover with water and allow them to soak for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 460°F (240°C).
- Cut the tofu into large thick squares (cutting into large squares makes them more sturdy and easier to place onto the skewers). Place onto a parchment-lined baking tray and place in the oven to bake for 15 minutes.
- While the tofu is baking and the skewers are soaking, chop up the bell peppers into pieces (quite large so they can easily be threaded onto the skewers), and slice the zucchini into thick slices. Chop the pineapple slices into large chunks. The mushrooms and cherry tomatoes will stay whole.
- Toss the chopped veg, mushrooms, and cherry tomatoes in a bowl and add 2 Tbsp sesame oil and some sea salt and black pepper and toss together so that everything is coated.
- When the tofu is ready, remove from the oven and brush with the remaining 1 Tbsp sesame oil.
- Thread the vegetables and tofu onto the skewers.
- If baking in the oven then preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and place the skewers onto a parchment-lined baking tray and bake for 30 minutes.
- If cooking on the grill then preheat the grill and cook the skewers, turning regularly until the veggies are soft and just browning around the edges (about 10-15 minutes).
- Prepare your satay sauce by adding the peanut butter, soy sauce, maple syrup, chili, and garlic spice together and whisking with a hand whisk to combine. Add hot water from the kettle and whisk to thin it out into the right consistency.
- Serve the vegetable skewers with a bowl of satay sauce on the side.